Arundel Castle

West Sussex, England

City/Town/Village: Arundel
County: West Sussex
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8568, -0.554291


The Duke of Norfolk

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Arundel

Arundel Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

1. Arundel Castle

TQ 0107 1/1 26.3.49.


Lower part of gatehouse possibly late C11, built for Roger de Montgomery, who
was granted Arundel by William the Conqueror.
Middle stage of gatehouse, keep, and cellars under south-east range appear (stylis-
tically) to date from late C12; possibly from tenure of Earl William de Albini.
Barbican, upper stage of gatehouse, north-west buttress, and well tower to keep,
appear (stylistically) to date from late C13, possibly from time of Richard, 1st
Earl of Arundel, who received the grant of a fair to help repair the castle
[A Tipping: English Homes, I). Curtain and towers round north end also mediaeval,
but of uncertain date, and restored in late C19 [photograph showing unrestored
condition in possession of Arundel Society].
North-east range may have been rebuilt in early C16 [painting in Arundel Castle],
possibly by William, 11th Earl of Arundel [Tipping: op.cit.]. The general form
of this range is the same as in the early C16.
James Gibbs supplied plans for the 8th Duke of Norfolk (who died in 1732) [Gibbs
MSS]. This may have been for the south-east range [plan before late C18 rebuilding
illustrated in Dallaway "History of Western Sussex": 1836].
North-east, south-east and south-west ranges rebuilt by 11th Duke (succeeded in
1786, died in 1815), keeping to existing outline of buildings [cf. Hollar's view
of Arundel, c.1640], Architect initially Francis Hiorn, who died in 1789. Then
James Teasdale, otherwise unknown, who signed the plans for the rebuilding illustrated
in Dallaway [op.cit.]. (A John Teasdale the Elder, of Greystoke, Cumberland,
supplied sculpture for the 11th Duke from 1790 onwards [Gunnis: Dictionary of
British Sculptors]). Of this rebuilding only the Library, completed in 1801 [Clifford
Musgrave: Arundel Castle], survives. The campaign was completed by 5th June 1815,
when the Baron's Hall was first used [Dallaway: op.cit.].
Chapel, Baron's Hall, remainder of south-west range, all of south-east range apart
from cellar, and all of north-east range above, and north of the library, rebuilt
1890-1903. Architect Charles Alban Buckler. This rebuilding was largely a thorough-
going purge of all the details, substituting C13 ones for Teasdale's C15 ones.

Listing NGR: TQ0191807256

Information from British Listed Buildings

Share |