Dudhope Castle

City of Dundee, Scotland

City/Town/Village: Newport-On-Tay
County: City of Dundee
Latitude/Longitude: 56.4643, -2.9841

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Newport-On-Tay

Dudhope Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

Late 16th/17th century. L-plan 4-storey fortress and large tower house, rubble-built with angle turrets. SW wing built circa 1588 with vaulted basement, heightened in 2 stages, pend section dated 1600, NE wing circa 1684-9 on site of keep of 1460. Roof lines and floors altered 1792 and 1799 on conversion first to woollen manufactory, then, by Samuel Bell, to barracks. Restored and harled 1985-8.
NE WING: E ELEVATION: central segmental arched pend flanked by twin drums, latter reduced to band course level 1986 and given conical roofs. Swept roofed bellcote (rebuilt 1986) on corbelled out gablet with oculus by Samuel Bell, 1799. Section to right altered from 4 to
3 storeys 1986 by raising of ground floor and blocking of 1st floor windows. Section to left earlier, battered at ground floor, 3 blocked windows reopened 1986. Wallhead stacks, that to left original, that to right new. Clasping conical-roofed angle turrets, that to left with smaller windows and thicker walls than that to right. Tall stack of NE turret rebuilt in brick. N gable slightly advanced to right, with some remnants of the earlier keep (roll moulded fireplace in attic space inside).
W ELEVATION: pend not a true arch. Roll-moulded door to right. 5-bays N of pend slightly advanced, 3 windows formed 1986 between floors by blocking of ground and 1st floor windows. 4-storeys retained at pend and stair levels.
SW WING, S ELEVATION: circa 1588, 2nd and then 3rd floor wallhead cills of dormers raised to full height in 2 stages (the second in 1790s) to the present 4-storey and basement. 6 bays between clasping angle turrets. brick-built gable and stack added to right 1986, over 2 re-opened and 1 blocked window. Some windows at lower levels roll-moulded and with sockets for bars. Evidence of blocked ground floor window between 4th and 5th bays. Small basement windows. SW tower has corbelled-out link at 2nd and 3rd floors, openings altered to match new floor levels, 1799.
W GABLE: skewputts at 2 levels, indicating that roof was raised twice and once was crow-stepped. The lower skewputt bears armorial of Dame Madelene Livingstone (late 16th century wife of Sir James Scrymgeour).
N ELEVATION: 6-bay, 3rd from left has semi-circular turret, removed 1799, reformed 1988 from original ground floor corbel. Irregular fenestration to right (at position of great hall/dining room').
Gabled slate roofs, with piend behind SE turret. Join in roof-line behind bellcote. Stacks rebuilt in brick and harled, 1986. Windows renewed 1987, multi-paned sash and case.
INTERIOR: SW wing basement barrel vaults, and groin vault at W kitchen. All timber floors (reformed for barrack rooms 1799) and stone stairs replaced at same levels to modern standards 1988. Some evidence remains in internal walls of fireplaces (eg N gable) and of window openings (eg N face to courtyard) not discernible from outside.

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |