Falkland Palace

Fife, Scotland

City/Town/Village: Falkland
County: Fife
Latitude/Longitude: 56.2537, -3.20649

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Falkland

Falkland Palace is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

3-sided quadrangular structure comprising orginally:-
NORTH QUARTER:- Mid 15th century: contained great hall, evidently similar in plan form to hall at Stirling. Renovated from 1502, burnt 1654; only foundations remain.
EAST QUARTER:- Circa 1500-12, 3-storey with vaulted ground floor; courtyard facade recast from 1537, John Merlioun, original rubble work left exposed, 6-bay treatment with Corinthian columned buttresses and roundels to match south range work by Nicholas Roy and Moses Martin; 'dovecot' circular stair tower at NE. Vaulted ground floor and
courtyard facade less dormerheads survive intact, remainder much ruined.
CROSS HOUSE:- Circa 1500-12, rectangular tower at centre east front of above, rectangular plan with circular stair turret at NE; rebuilt from 1st floor level upwards 1890s except for stair turret which had largely survived: decoration of King James V room, W Schomberg Scott and David McClure.
SOUTH QUARTER:- Originally Circa 1501-12. 3-storey and attic (tall 2nd floor containing chapel), vaulted ground floor, northern lean-to corridor. Completely refaced in ashlar 1537-41; Thomas French and James Black 1538-9, 6-bay late gothic south front, niched buttresses with statuary by Peter Flemishman, square-headed 2-light windows 2nd floor, rich corbelled and crenellated parapet. Nicholas Roy and Moses Martin 1540-41, north courtyard facade, corinthian columned buttresses and roundels with busts, mullioned and transomed 2nd floor windows, segmentally pedimented dormers, details of Loire School; chapel ceiling with painted decoration 1633; original wooden screen, Royal Pew reconstructed on model of that at Scone incorporating fragments of original Falkland one. Gate House (Foirentre and tower, Captain's Chambers). John Brownhill and Henry Bawte completed 1539-41 evidently
incorporating earlier work. 3-storey with crenellated parapet and cap house, pend entry flanked on south by round towers; corridor on north side left unbuilt. Ashlar except at site of corridor. Panel embellishments added in 1893-6 restoration.
RESTORATIONS: considerably and in part altered c 1840, presumably under supervision of William Burn, for O Tyndall Bruce; Burn's alterations largely removed, extensive restorations and repairs inside and out, John Kinross from 1893 onwards, chiefly 1893-6; elaborate painted decoration
based on the paintings of David Scott by Thomas Bonnar 1895-6, interior fittings from Bute workshops at Cardiff.

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |